Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Thai-Inspired Spring Rolls

40 Days-40 Days of Lenten Recipes

Ok, admission here. 
I am not a fan of Chinese take-out. 
There I said it!
I don't love Chinese food.
I am a fan of Thai and Vietnamese, a BIG fan. 

It's the flavors that attract me, you can have something that's simple or with flavors that are much more complex, and sometimes really HOT! I remember a time, I took a family member out to my favorite Thai place and the challenge was on of who could handle the hottest dish.  We had tears rolling out of eyes not only from food but because we were laughing so hard. Good times.

These spring rolls are easy, flavorful and healthy for you.  They are not hot, but are so good they could be considered "hot." They are a "go- to" snack and admittedly can be filling enough to be dinner.  


Check out here, my rolling technique needs help, still tasty.
With these I was in a rush and overfilled them.


Rice paper makes a huge difference. Won ton wrappers and eggroll papers are too thick. It does make a difference.  Rice paper is thin and actually comes dried and is so thin it needs to be rehydrated. All you need to do, is fill a shallow dish with warm water and place the rice sheet in it for about 10-15 seconds. Carefully lift it out and start layering your veggies. You can use any combination you like and get creative.  



Ingredients

Rice paper
Bag of shredded broccoli coleslaw mix
Julienned carrots
Bean sprouts
Sliced julienned cucumbers
small pieces of fresh basil
Optional: small pieces of tofu or shrimp)
Peanut Sauce ( buy it  or this is a good recipe)

I rolled these tighter, you can see the difference.


These are fresh and light and yummy.
Not just Lenten yummy but anytime of the year.

What do you think?
What's your fave cuisine from the Far East?
Chinese, Thai, Korean or Vietnamese?
Am I missing something?


Share the Day

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


3 comments:

April's Homemaking said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up last week. I hope you join us again this week. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-3.html

Unknown said...

Tip: if you can find chopped coleslaw mix, (instead of shredded) that would make better vegetable egg rolls.

Unknown said...

For Vietnamese style spring rolls, I like to add softened bean thread noodles into the stuffing mixture.
I would like to find out how to make the different dipping sauces that Cheesecake Factory serves with their spring rolls.