Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fruity Citrus Lenten Cake

40 Days-40 Days of Lenten Recipes



We have a potluck following Pre-Sanctified services on Wedsnensdays and I have promised to add a dessert each week to the table.  I love our Orange Lenten Koulourakia (shortbread cookie) but wanted to make a cake. Last year I offered this Chocolate Orange Cake, but I wanted something different. I found this recipe which served as the inspiration here.  I had to laugh as I was reading and sounding out my greek...very slowly.  Then I got a bit mixed up thinking κανελλα was cinnamon instead of vanilla.
Too funny.

Recipe after the jump...



My changes included, not using the cognac/brandy, rose water and being 1 cup short of orange juice. I had to make due as was missing these and no time to get to the store. Also I used the leftover syrup from our candied mandarin pieces and the mandarin themselves too!

Ingredients

1 cup orange juice
Juice of one lemon, mandarin and orange
Rind of lemon, mandarin and orange
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour
1 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar

Started with mixing oil and sugar well. Added vanilla.  In separate bowls mixed flour and baking powder and juices and baking soda. It will fizz and bubble, that's good.  Then using a wooden spoon, began to incorporate the dry and wet ingredients into the mixture to make the batter. Lastly, added rinds of the citrus fruits.



Placed into a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until checked to be solid. I was taught to slip a knife into the center and make sure it comes out clean without any batter sticking to it.

While it's still warm, poke holes in it slightly with a fork and then pour cool syrup over it. I used about 2 cups of syrup. Cut in diagonal like a traditional greek walnut cake.
Then decorated with candied mandarin pieces.



It was enjoyed.
I liked the mix of the tartness of the citrus with the sweetness from the sugar but the kick of the mandarins.





Share the Day






Sharing With

Urban Naturale
I Gotta Create
Time for Season
Tatertots and Jello
BoogieboardCottage
Cozy LIttle House
Craftdictator

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Your cake looks yummy! Thanks for sharing at My favorite Things party! Theresa @DearCreatives

Unknown said...

So healthy and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your Fruity Citrus Lenten Cake recipe with us
at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!