Friday, March 14, 2014

Candied Mandarin Peels-Less is More


40 Days-40 Days of Lenten Recipes

By now you must know I have a sweet tooth. This next recipe can help with that, especially when trying to cut down on sweets. I've lost 2.14% this past week and proud of it, so I want to keep it going.


These are sweet, tangy and satisfy the sweet tooth. 
I found they taste so yummy but because they are so flavorful, I can't eat too many.
And that is good! Less really is more sometimes.
Facing temptations and pulling away from them is part of Lent after all.
These will help you appreciate the goodness without overdoing it.

For how I did it, see after the jump.






Ingredients

6-8 mandarin peels
1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups water
2 cups sugar

Optional: 4-6 T Grand Marnier Liqueur

Cut the peels into strips and get rid of all the white pith. Blanche them in water, bring the water to boil three times, each time draining them and replacing it with cold water and bring to a boil again. In a separate saucepan make the simple syrup, transfer the drained peels and optionals liqueur and simmer for 15 minutes or so, then turn off burner and leave to soak overnight. In the morning, remove and place on parchment paper to dry, or can put in oven at low temp to dry them out, sprinkle with sugar first. Place in airtight container to store or give as a gift.



Wait til you see what I did with them!

Here's a link to the 2013 Lenten Series Recap.

Share the Day







Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


1 comment:

April's Homemaking said...

This sounds like a fun project, my whole family loves mandarin oranges, I bet these would be good to have on hand! I would love to invite you to my linky party to share your recipe at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up. Happy St. Patrick's Day! :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-2.html