Wednesday, March 5, 2014

40 Days-40 Lenten Recipes 2014 Edition-Almond Apple Tart


Already needing something sweet? Fresh fruit not cutting it?
To be honest, I'm a baker at heart. What can I say?
I had to find a way to make a crust, and I did...




Ingredients

Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
5 Tb cold water
4 tsp vegan butter
1/4 tsp salt

I put it all in the mixer with my pastry hook.  It was promising, took it out and kneaded it a bit. Was able to roll it out nicely and then baked in the tart pan for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Then allowed it to cool. It had puffed up a bit, had forgotten to poke holes in the bottom.

Filling

4 oz of tofu
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

While the crust was cooking I prepared the filling. Mixed it altogether and then when the crust was cooled, poured it in and spread it evenly.

Topping

2 apples, cored and sliced
1 pear, cored and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T granulated sugar
2 T ground cinnamon
4 T sliced almonds

Mixed all together except almonds. Placed slices on top of filling and then sprinkled almonds over.
Baked for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.



It wasn't as flaky as I hoped and actually a little chewy, but it tasted good!
Anyone have any other suggestions? I want to try to keep it lenten/vegan. 

Share the Day


1 comment:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It looks delicious, and I probably could change the crust to make it gluten-free for my dd.