Friday, March 21, 2014

Lenten Meatball Submarine Sandwich-Sans the Meat

40 Days-40 Days of Lenten Recipes
Well, not everything I make is a success. 
Trust me... I have no pictures of the attempt of homemade fruit roll ups. EPIC FAIL!
But when it came to a Lenten Sub Sandwich it tasted pretty good. I haven't made my own Veggie burgers in a super long time. So decided on making a Beanballs. Yup you read it right, "BeanBalls."





Ingredients

2 cups cannellini beans
1 cup quinoa
1-2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup roasted sweet pepper
4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper

tomato sauce
dash garlic powder
dash cinnamon




I blended the beans and roasted pepper in the food processor and then into a bowl to incorporate the quinoa and breadcrumbs. Then I formed them into balls and patties. 


I was going to bake them but decided to give my family the best chance of liking something different I would fry them. So with a tablespoon of olive oil I went to town.  I removed them and used the same pan to heat up the sauce, use the marinara of your choice.  I didn't make it from scratch. Some days there is no time or inclination.  I believe everyone just does the best they can, and that has to be good enough.  I like my store brand of tomato basil sauce, and using add a little more garlic powder and a dash of cinnamon. Once heated I added the beanballs back and we spooned them into our heated rolls. 




They tasted good and hearty.  The only problem I will warn you ahead of time. Don't put too many in the sandwich and don't eat too many, they are made primarily of beans afterall, if you get my drift?

Share the Day


No comments: