Thursday, March 6, 2014

40 Days-40 Lenten Recipes 2014 Edition: Spiced Chai Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

So what do you do when you promised to bring something for the Potluck following Presanctified Services and you get home late? Well, I decided on more baking...



I loved the Earl Grey Cupcakes with Butter cream Frosting made for the Valentine's Brunch. Have yet to post about how that turned out...(great by the way.)  So I thought, let me make these similar, except without the eggs and milk and butter for the frosting. So what did I use?



That's the challenge, which is the fun part of Lenten/Vegan baking. Finding what works and how to make it work.  This time for a binder I used maple syrup and 1/2 banana. For the frosting vegan butter.
The cupcakes were delicious! The frosting not as frosty/fluffy as I imagined it would be.  I actually had to roll the icing in my hands and place it on the cupcakes. I had trouble squeezing it through my icing bag, it was just pathetic.



Anyone who knows me personally, knows, I'm always getting it done right to the last minute.
It was no different on this day. This one was the only one that got to look fancy for you all.




Ingredients

In 3 separate bowls, mix

3 cups flour
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

2 c almond milk
2 Tb apple cider vinegar
1 tsp baking soda

In the mixer bowl mix thoroughly,

1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c chai tea
1/4 c maple syrup
1/2 banana
1/2 tsp each of almond and vanilla extract

Then alternate wet and dry mixture.   I placed my wet in measuring cup for easier pouring.
Once they are all incorporated, I used my special no mess cupcake technique to pour the batter into the pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Now to the frosting, I used,

4 Tb Vegan Butter, softened
2 Tb almond milk plus 2 tsp almond milk
1 bag confectioners sugar added slowly
1 tsp cream tartar

Anyone have a better recipe? This was more like fondant, than frosting.

Share the Day








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks too good to eat! Never made frosting this way, sorry can't help. It looks good all the same!