Saturday, April 13, 2013

40 Days-40 Lenten Recipes #27 Koulourakia

Something to dip into your coffee or tea, or just munch on all by itself.
Dairy-free and Egg-free.


Koulourakia

1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
3 T honey
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp baking soda
3 T brandy

In a separate bowl mix,
2-3 cups all-purpose flour
1T baking powder
1 T cinnamon

Mix oil and sugar well, I use my electric mixer. Pour in honey and then orange juice and baking soda. Start adding flour mixture slowly and mixing well, continue to add flour until pliable but not sticky.
The last 1/2 cup of flour really is dependent on how the flour is mixing in, on humidity etc.

Roll out little ropes and make little wreathes or twisted cords or anything else you like.
Don't get too complicated with it.
Place on a baking sheet, with parchment paper or lightly sprayed with non-stick baking spray or use my favorite stoneware baking pans, which don't require any treatment after they've been well-seasoned.
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees.





Enjoy.
Share the Day!

7 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

Yum! I forgot the fasting recipe I have for koulourakia!

Anonymous said...

how much oj?Looks wonderful.

Pres. Eleni said...

Oh my gosh...thanks for catching that, have since corrected, it's 1/2 cup. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!for the correction and all the recipes.Have been loving this series.So fun to peek into other's recipe boxes.

Pres. Eleni said...

I'm so glad and happy to share my recipe box with you. I've enjoyed it and at the same time I am looking forward to when we get to #40 and be able to start sharing the other things I've been up to. After Pascha I will let you all in on it.

Jenny said...

I've been craving koulourakia! I'm going to experiment and substitute in my gluten free flour and hope it turns out. Thanks for the recipe!!

Anonymous said...

You have brought up a very good points, appreciate it for the post.