Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How to Paint a Bench Ombre-Style




I picked up this bench last summer at a yard sale. 
End of the day and $20, yippee!
I even pinned an inspiration.
I had great plans, I wanted to ombre it!


It sat for a long, long time on our very sad front porch, 
looking sorely out of place.
So many things had to take priority over it.
But finally, huge big grin. 
I had 2 hours, yes, I said it, 2 hours to myself!
I had 3 spray cans and 2 hours.
I washed it, got all the little spider babies out of it.(ick)
Sanded it a bit, I admit, should of sanded it more.
But I couldn't wait to get to the fun part.



I sprayed the white parts first, back top and bottom.
Using primer/spray mix, worked great! Easy-peasy.
Then next color, mid-blue, on the middle sections.


Last the dark blue on front middle.
To get more of the effect I would go over the transition parts with each color,
while lifting the spray can away from the piece, while spraying.
I wanted the darkest section at the very front.
Finished it with spray sealer, after it dried in the sun.
Turned out exactly as I pictured it!
Not often that happens, at least in my world.



I had a little left in the cans and decided to paint this cute pot to go with it.
Also moved some pillows from indoor to outdoor.
The pillows were sprayed with outdoor fabric protector.
Pretty, pretty, happy, happy.
Fall here we come!
How is your front porch starting to "fall" together?



Don't you love how the color deepens and changes with the light.
Smiling wide, baby, Smiling wide.
Share the Day!

Sharing with



12 comments:

Jeannie Marie said...

A beautiful choice of color! Isn't it amazing how a coat of paint can transform something? Great pillows too!

Pres. Eleni said...

Jeannie, thank you so much! It is amazing. My Dad was watching me as I worked on it and at first was skeptical. We laughed when it was done. Thanks for stopping by, I love these pillows, by now most know I have an affinity for the wee winged ones. They seem natural here.

Unknown said...

Oh my Goodness, such a beautiful makeover!!! Even the pillows are to die for! What a transformation! Thank you so much for sharing it at the Fluster Buster Party! Hope you come and join us again next week! Lizy party co host

Artsy VaVa said...

I love how you did the bench! Good job.

CDA said...

Very cool and so so impressive. I didn't know what ombre was until I read your post!

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks Lizbeth, love to party. I will pop over and hope you also come back to share the day!

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks! Can you believe it's the same bench?

Pres. Eleni said...

Glad to be of help and so glad you came to share the day!

Sarah said...

Love how you transformed this bench! I am a new follower! Would love if you would follow back http://churchstreetdesigns.blogspot.com/

Pres. Eleni said...

Sarah...you are too sweet, thanks. Love your mail basket BTW.

Leslie said...

This looks wonderful. So creative. Stopping by fron The Shabby Nest.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It came out beautiful! LOVE the color choice.