Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Stenciling Curtains

I wanted some new curtains, something cheerful, a splash of color.  I searched everywhere, and finally found the inspiration here;


Alas, not in our budget, but I just could not get them out of mind.  You know when you see something and that's it. You could buy something else, but you will always compare it.

Well I then found new inspiration here;

and here;

So I started to plan my own stenciling project.
Here it is!

I started with plain curtains.  I thought about using canvas but found these for a super reasonable $14.99 /pair.   They had a nice bronze antique grommet and a sheen to them.





I ironed them.




I  had some old large boxes and found the right stencil and fabric paints at the craft store, of course, used my coupons.

I started with a sponge dabber. But ended returning to a stencil brush, you know the kind, sorry, didn't get a picture of it.  I think it used less paint, and I like it's handling better.
Sounds like I'm talking about a car, doesn't it.

I ended up needing 4 bottles for 4 panels.  
I mixed satin finish colors,  geranium and tiger lily for an accented effect.



Different people have talked about using the stencil glue, I didn't, just my true blue painters tape.
Make sure that it is flat, you can see a little bubble above, it was flat when painting.
I used another stencil in the same package to help measure.


Here is one all done! The first one took me forever...
Thankfully the remainder went faster.
I ironed them again to heat seal the paint, or you can tumble dry them.



Here the final product! 
I think they turned out pretty good.
Now just have to wait for some bamboo shades to go with them.
Or may be I should just paint my cheap vinyl shades with a faux bamboo look?
Hmmmm...




Would love to know what you think?



Share the Day!







22 comments:

Unknown said...

They are stunning, and look better than the Anthropologie ones (not massed produced). Love it!

Matushka Anna said...

I think yours are better than Anthropologie too! Great job! (:

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks so much! I really like them, close to love!

Getting ready to do it again pretty soon, with another set.

Mary Jo said...

I really, really like that you took the stencils and made your own pattern. They look amazing. Awesome Job!

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks Mary Jo, it was worth the effort! Thanks too for commenting, it's nice to know.
Have a great day!

Number Fifty-Three said...

Wow! Those came out wonderful! I love the pattern and color. And that Martha Stewart craft paint is my favorite.

Have a great week!

Angela

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL... What a great idea! Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches!

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks Nicole, we are really enjoying them. BTW, LOVE the chevron bag tags! If you haven't visitied D and S yet, go take a look! Thanks for sharing!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Watch out Anthropology. Your curtains look stunning. Really well done!

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks Amy, hee hee hee. I'm going to try your mango salsa this weekend with spareribs! YUM! Already drooling.

Wallpapers said...

Stenciling curtains are great. You can know all from this post

Nektaria said...

Eleni, I LOVED them!!! What a wonderful idea. They turned out lovely!!! I am so happy they were featured too!!

Unknown said...

Better than the ones you took your idea from. Great job!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous. I love the color combination.

By any chance are you willing to share where you got the curtains?



Followed from Knock Off Decor.

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks. I don't remember which store exactly as this was a few months ago, but it was one of the "fashionista" chains.
Hope this helps.

Pres. Eleni said...

Thanks Angela, I appreciate your comment, you have such good taste, it means a lot.

Unknown said...

Very pretty, great job!
Wanda Ann @ memoriesbythemile.com

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

How beautiful. You must have a lot of patience. Those look amazing. Job well done. Take that anthropologie :)

Pres. Eleni said...

Patience, hmmm, yes-yes I do have lots of patience, for some things. For other things-not so much. Thanks for popping over to share the day and for the compliment!

GretchenJoanna said...

How satisfying to make something so lovely.

Pansy C. Hensley said...

Good work, well detailed and explained by the author. Hoping that it will inspire more readers. Thank you for sharing this Curtain and blinds..

Home decor Ideas said...

Nice sharing. Thank You SO much for sharing this informative Home Interior Design Ideas. I really appreciated this post.